Monday, February 14, 2011

LG Optimus 3D Smart Phone is Coming



Gizmodo.com released an article today discussing the Optimus 3D  smartphone from LG (Gizmodo - LG Optimus 3D ). The specs are pretty impressive for the nerd crowd (me included) out there:
  • 4.3 inch screen
  • Dual cameras for 3D capable 720p video, 3D images, and 2D 1080p video.
  • Dual core 1GHz processor
  • 4 GB of dual channel DDR2 RAM memory
  • 8 GB of Flash memory storage (the article refers to this as straight up "memory", which is incorrect)
  • 1500mAh battery
 My question: How long will the battery actually last? I have an iPhone 4 (fyi - not an Apple fanboy, just a lover of all things tech), it has a 1420mAh battery. I check emails, text regularly, and listen to Pandora/iPod all day at work. I don't have to try hard to make the device last a full day on a single charge. For a device that has twice the processing capability, 8 times more memory, and a battery with only 5.6% more capacity, how long can I even shoot in 3D video mode on the LG? One hour of strenuous use is hardly revolutionary.

Let's not forget about the power hungry 4.3 inch screen. LG/Android better have put some good task management built in, so as not to inadvertently drain the battery on standby (I'm looking at you Evo 4G).

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about this phone. I can't wait to see how it does when released in the coming months, and I think 3D will become standard on hand held devices. The parallax screen technology is perfect for single-viewer applications. I just don't want the portability aspect of smart phones to take a back seat in the car of technology advancement.

No comments:

Post a Comment